Genius Enrollment Site for Enrolling and/or Checking Student Progress
If you are a parent of a student interested in online middle or high school courses, here are answers to frequently asked questions about Wisconsin Virtual School (WVS). NOTE: Parents considering OPEN ENROLLMENT for virtual opportunities should contact their local school district to discuss the option of taking WVS courses online while staying enrolled in their local district.
What types of students can benefit from using WVS?
- Home schooled
- Alternative or at-risk students
- Credit Deficient
- Gifted or advanced students
- Remedial students who require one-on-one support
- Students wanting to improve their skills in a particular subject
- Any other student that would benefit from non-traditional instruction formats
How do I enroll my son/daughter in WVS?
- Talk with your student's school guidance counselor or principal about receiving credit for courses taken through WVS.
- In most cases your local school will enroll your son/daughter and will provide a local mentor (LEG).
- If you will be enrolling your son/daughter directly with WVS (home-schooled/expelled students), you will need to complete an application form online.
- Login to the Genius system at the link on the top of this page.
- Parents/Guardians NOT associated with a school district (i.e. homeschooled) should create an account from the "New to Wisconsin Virtual School?" section.
- Create your guardian/parent account. You will receive an “Account Creation Notification” which includes your user name and login for future access. Log back in and follow these directions closely to create an application for your student.
- Create an application for your student. This will be sent to WVS for approval. Once verified that it is a guardian/parent request, the application will be approved and you will receive an email. You will use your login credentials to request courses.
- After completing a course request for the student, mail a check or money order for each course made payable to CESA #9 to the address below. We cannot accept credit card payments. Please include your student's name, school, and courses they wish to take with your payment. Prices are listed on the Enrollment Page.
- Once we receive your payment, we will approve and activate your student's course and your student will receive an email with his/her username and password and log-in instructions.
- Checks returned by your bank for insufficient funds will result in immediate cancellation of your student's WVS course access.
What if we change our mind after enrolling and want to cancel a course?
To cancel your son/daughter's enrollment and receive a full refund, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org within 14 calendar days of enrollment activation.
Drop requests received between 15 and 28 calendar days after enrollment will be eligible for a partial refund. After 28 days, no refund is available.